Information taken from Broward Health
WHAT IS GERD?
Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) is a digestive disorder caused by gastric acid that is flowing from the stomach into the esophagus. It is the return of acidic stomach juices, food and / or liquids into the esophagus.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF GERD?
Some of the symptoms and characteristics of GERD may include the following:
- Heartburn or discomfort in the chest
- Sore throat or pain when speaking
- Difficulty swallowing
- Frequent throat clearing
- Excessive mucous production (especially when eating)
- Painful swallowing
- Feeling like food gets “stuck”
- Excessive use of liquid to help wash food down
WHAT CAUSES GERD?
GERD is caused by acid reflux moving from the stomach into the esophagus.
OUR APPROACH AT KEY THERAPIES:
We will develop an individualized treatment plan for each child based off of his / her current needs. We may provide suggested diet changes as well as strategies to help decrease the symptoms of the condition.